Monday 7 May 2012

Mum's Bird Embroidery

My mum is a very artistic and creative lady, I would like to mention some of her accomplishment here, not so much academically but what a normal homemaker can create with her hands. More so, when we were growing up in the 1960s and 70s there wasn’t much choice as where to buy nice and beautiful pillowcases and the likes of it. She is a great lady and it always thrilled me to watch her with her embroidery and sewing. I remember her tracing from the thick book of Mickey Mouse colouring book. She would beautifully make embroidery of Mickey Mouse patterns and we children would squeal with delight and at the same time, were captivated by the beauty of it. Those times were long gone but I still have some of her works and these were bird’s embroidery. I still treasured it and every now and then I still walk the paths of imagination as I recall those days.



Embroidery of birds by mum.  Wonderful piece of work!
Tried as I may, I can't seem to get the hang of these method of embroidery, where you stitch the outline of the design using long and short stitches though I am quite sure it is easy. I am good at cross stitch and have done quite a number of it instead.Well, this blog is all about recalling good times and I  derive pleasure in doing so.