Wednesday 20 February 2013

Old Soul Ballads

I am going to write about songs that stirred me , some in a strangest way and some in a  happy mood. I am particularly interested in the old soul ballads from the golden days. These tunes they sang was of wailing , haunting and sad depressive affair of the heart. The song is a story itself and tells of the person sadness and loneliness. You can almost feel the atmosphere the singer was in, I like that because then she has successfully drawn you into that breathtakingly feel of her song. Have you heard Otis Redding rendering of the song 'Come to Me' it's so sad and pleading. I recently came across Kenny Vance rendering of Otis Redding composition 'For Your Precious Love' I love both Otis 's version and  Kenny 's they both has got a unique style of their own. Whatever the old soul ballad was, they were hauntingtly beautiful and melancholy as well. Some of the songs I like are; Bettye Swann 'These Arms of Mine' and Barbara Lyn 'I'd Rather Go Blind' and of course Otis redding 'Pain in My Heart', you can feel the energy of the song if you pay attention to it.

American Blue Singer Ruth Brown

American Jazz Pianist